Friday, January 31, 2014

Galaxy Newsbrief 013114: The Silence is Deafening

* At Comics Worth Reading, Johanna Draper Carlson asks Why Isn't It A Bigger Deal That Miracleman Is Finally Back In Print? She suggests a good number of reasons, and I am beginning to suspect it's a confluence of elements that have all conspired to make what should have been the superhero publishing event of the decade come off with whimper, and not a bang. (Unlike some comics sites, the comments at CWR are worth reading for additional insight and discussion, as well; not just on this post, but as a rule.) Any one of the scenarios Johanna posits would have impeded interest and stunted sales. All together? The silence is deafening.

* In case you didn't know, Bob Temuka likes comics. I knew, and I'm still impressed.

* Uncomics: Bob Lefsetz observes the 50th anniversary of the Beatles hitting America.

* Uncomics: Make sure you read Mick Martin on everybody's obsession with food. I've always thought the toughest part about food addiction is that, unlike alcohol or heroin, say, you gotta eat food or you'll die. So you have to confront the addiction every day, and in some workplaces, every moment of every day. Like everything Mick has posted at his new blog about addiction, this piece is funny and heartbreaking and insightful and inspiring all at once. Check it out, and don't order the cheeseburger salad for lunch -- unless, of course, you can do so in moderation. That's key.

No comments:

Post a Comment